Italian - ItalyEnglish (United Kingdom)
The story of Appartamenti Porta Maggiore

Appartamenti Porta Maggiore

The apartments are situated in the complex of the former Pantanella water- mill, once a central point in Rome’s economic life, nowadays one of the most important examples of industrial archaeology.

The mill “Società Molini e Pastificio Pantanella” was originally situated in via dei Cerchi. It was later moved for the will of the founder Mr Michele Panzanella to the Casilina. At the time, there were only a grain bin, a mill and a factory. Nonetheless the plant was very important. In fact during the Second World War, on 19th July 1943, of the 17 bombs dropped on Rome, 13 hit the factory, which had been indicated as a strategic target by the Americans.

Once the war was over the reconstruction started and the Pantanella, thanks also to the employment of modern machinery and to the innovative conception of the factory designed by Aschieri, became the first plant in Europe for the production of pasta.

During the 60’s, as a consequence of an inexorable process of financial difficulties, the factory closed down. Abandoned and in a state of progressive degradation, the mill then had several owners until the acquisition by “Società dell’Acqua Pia Antica Marcia”, which saw to the recovery and the conversion of the complex.

Building “A” once hosted the offices of the plant. It is now destined to commercial and residential use.

Building “B” was the grain bin. Built in 1915, it is the most antique building of the complex. The recovery intervention aimed at preserving the external architecture. However, to suite the new destination, the internal structures have been demolished and rebuilt and windows have been opened.

Also for Building “C”, the former biscuit factory, a residential and commercial destination was chosen. To suite the new destination some external changes were necessary to increase the number of openings and spot lightings.

Building “D” was built in 1929 and it is now destined to offices and apartments with garages and cellars.

Buildings “F” and “G” nowadays represent a unique body. However originally the first building, built in 1933, was a biscuit factory, while the second building, built in 1958, was as a shed. The whole complex will be estined to cultural, leisure and sport activities. All around the buildings an open area is foreseen for parking spaces.

Building “L” was built in 1946 in place of the mill which had been destroyed during the second world war bombings. Given its capacity, it is the most significant building in the complex. It is completely dedicated to residential use.